Saturday, April 30, 2011

I believe I can fly

What a busy day!  We started off the morning at Deb's advanced handling class in Indy.  It's always fun to go and learn and see old friends.  Tully was a little rusty, but overall not bad!  He did decide on the second course that he could fly.  This is not the first time he has held this belief.  He jumped from the top of the A-frame and landed by skidding on his head and neck.  In true cattledog fashion, he popped right up with his tongue lolling out and a big goofy grin and patiently waited for me to tell him where to go next.  I'm sure he has to have horrible floor burn on his chin and neck, but it looks good and he showed no sign of slowing down.  On the rest of the runs I made sure he slowed down on the A-frame and did not attempt to fly.  He seemed disappointed.  He was very hesitant on the teeter and this worries me as we are competing next weekend in Evansville.  We desperately need time on a teeter this week, but I don't see that happening. <sigh>  All in all, a great class and a lot of fun.

During the agility class, there was a USDAA trial going on at the same time at that facility. I ran into a gal with a red cattle dog who was competing and who is Tully's "aunt".  Agility runs in the family!  Her name is Skeeter and she is a half sibling to Tully's father "Leader". She lives in St. Louis and was in town just for the trial.  What a small world!

We left Indy and drove north to Muncie to do a herding lesson with Ferreh.  You'd think Tully would be sore and tired from the morning agility class and his attempt at flight - he is 9 years old now, not a spring chicken. Well, I was mistaken. He came out of the truck fired up and ready to chase some sheep.  He was in rare form today.  He is improving a lot in herding and is having a lot of fun. We still have hopes of being PT ready by fall, but we'll see. The cost of gas will put a dent on our training in Muncie for sure.

All in all, a great day!  I see Tully improving and we are having so much fun. He is a wonderful dog and I am grateful to have him. Tomorrow we will change course and Tully will visit IU students as a Delta Society Therapy Dog and give them a much needed study break from finals.  I'm confident that being hugged and petted by a bunch of college girls will be right up his alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment