Saturday, April 9, 2011

Aliens

Tully went to his advanced handling/run thru agility class this morning.  One thing is really odd to me.  In run thrus and in trials, I crowd Tully and talk to him in strange voices that I never, ever use in practice. This tends to make things not go so well.   In practice he is much better - faster weaves, distance work, etc.  In trials/run thrus I turn into an alien with my mannerisms and voice and he's completely sure I've lost my mind.  Because he's sure I've lost my mind, he then becomes slow, distracted, and generally freaked out.  I have no idea why I act like I do in run thrus/trials. I certainly believe that aliens taking over my body is a valid hypothesis.

After class, we practiced weaves and he is actually starting to do off-side weaves!  Anyone who knows us knows this has been a huge thorn in our side, as Tully believes weaves should only be performed while in the heel position.  In addition, when doing his on-side weaves he can now be sent to them from a short distance away (5-6 feet maybe?) and do them completely without me next to him.  He just goes until they are done.  What a good boy.  I'm sure at the next trial I will crowd him and shriek in funny voices instead of just sending him and letting him do his job.  Blame the aliens.

Our herding lesson got cancelled thanks (or rather no thanks) to the heavy rain this morning.   Flooding in the sheep pens is apparently not conducive to herding.  <sigh>  Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment